Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Lemon Cake

My daughter had a birthday last week and asked for a lemon cake.  I had never made a lemon cake from scratch before so I tweaked a recipe I found online at allrecipes.com.  It turned out amazing, especially with the cream cheese frosting.  Excuse the picture.  I just snapped a shot of the cake before I covered it with fondant so it is not the most attractive thing in the world but I will include a picture of the final result of the cake just for fun.
3 C. Flour
1 T. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1 C. Butter
2 C. Sugar
3 Eggs
1/2 C. Sour Cream
1 1/4 tsp. Vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. Lemon Extract
Zest from 1 large lemon
Juice from 1 large lemon + enough milk to make 1 C.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream, vanilla and lemon extract.   Add flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and lemon zest.  Mix well with an electric mixer.  Add milk/lemon juice mixture gradually while mixing until you have added it all.  Grease and flour 2 8" cake pans or whatever pan(s) you want to use. Divide batter between cake pans and bake for 60-70 minutes or until cake tester poked into the center of the cake comes out with a few crumbs.  Allow cakes to cool in pans for 10 minutes before inverting onto cooling racks.  When cakes are completely cooled, frost as desired. 

2 comments:

Barb said...

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!! I can not tell you how much I love that cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You did such a great job with the decorations I'll bet it was loved and admired by everyone at the party. Where did you come from?????? Are you really my daughter????? Love you tons!!!!!!!!!!

christin said...

Now that is a cake! Glad I don't post any of my kids cakes. HA ha. You did an amazing job.