Saturday, October 24, 2009

Chocolate Banana Cookies

My kids got a little burned out on banana bread at the beginning of the school year after I froze 3 dozen banana muffins for quick breakfasts.  We had them a couple of times a week for several weeks in a row.  Consequently, I had to come up with other ways to use those over ripe bananas on my counter and this is one of the recipes I found that I my kids have liked.  This recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies so you are bound to have left overs.  Because of the banana, these cookies will get mushy and too soft if you store them in an air tight container.  Last time I made them I just left them on my counter on a plate uncovered and they were great the next day.  You could also cover them lightly with saran wrap.


1 C. Mashed Bananas (2 medium bananas)
1 C. Sugar
1/2 C. Butter, melted
1 Egg
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
2 C. Flour (I used white wheat flour)
1/2 C. Cocoa
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
3/4 C. Coarsely Chopped Nuts (I used walnuts)
1/2 C. Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease cookie sheet(s).  Set aside.  In a mixer, combine bananas, sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla.  Beat together until well blended.  Add in all dry ingredients except nuts and choc. chips. Beat at low speed until a soft dough forms.  Stir in nuts and chocolate chips by hand.  Drop dough in heaping tablespoons onto cookie sheet and bake for 14 minutes.  Let cookies cool for 5 minutes or longer before removing to cooling racks or cookies will fall apart.

1 comment:

Derrick/Deanna said...

These look awesome! We are going to try them out tonight.