Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread

I love this bread! It has great flavor and texture. This is my favorite wheat bread recipe.


2 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 TBS yeast
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup molasses, brown sugar, or honey (I use a little of all three)
2 tsp salt
6 to 7 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used 1 cup of white, 1 cup of oat flour, and white wheat for the rest)


Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil and then the sugar. Mix in 5 cups of flour and the salt. Allow to sit for 15 minutes, then add enough flour so that the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, but is still sticky. Oil hands and working surface. Separate dough in half. Roll each piece to remove air bubbles. Roll up, pinching bottom and tuck ends under. Place in greased loaf pan and let rise about 1 inch above the top of the pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Oil top of bread when hot. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I am putting this on my to-do list this week.

Andrea said...

I finally felt like I had time to make bread yesterday so I tried this recipe out. I loved it and my kids loved it as their after school snack too! Thanks!