Thursday, November 5, 2009

Chicken and Stuffing Casserole

Truthfully, casseroles are not my favorite.  They usually have creamed soup in them which I try to stay away from in my cooking and it just seems less interesting than other dinner possibilities.  That said, my family really, really loves this casserole and it is nice to have a simple, quick dinner once in a while so I continue to make this one.  I serve it with rice even though there is already a carb in the casserole.  You can also use this recipe for a thanksgiving left over recipe by putting turkey pieces on the bottom, spreading left over gravy over the turkey and topping it with left over stuffing.


2-3 Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded (I just put these in my crock pot frozen at about noon and cook on low for 5 hours)
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
3/4 C. Milk
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper
Seasoning Salt
1 pkg. Chicken or Turkey flavored Stuffing
1/4 C. Butter
1/4 C. Water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and spread chicken over bottom of pan.  Sprinkle a little bit of seasoning salt over top.  Melt butter with 1/4 C. water in a small bowl.  Mix stuffing (bread crumbs and seasonings) into butter mixture until slightly moistened and set aside.  In a separate bowl mix soup, milk, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  (I never measure these spices.  Just put a little bit of each in according to your family's tastes.) Pour soup mixture over top of chicken and spread evenly.  Sprinkle stuffing over the top and bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes depending on how crunchy you want your topping to be.  

2 comments:

christin said...

This is one of those busy day meals for me. Tastes like it took time! So good!

Sarah said...

I love this recipe! I've made it twice in the past month and have gotten rave reviews both times.