Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Carbonara

I love this pasta.  I ordered it a lot when I was in Italy before I got married and find myself craving it for the taste and the memories.  It is a cheap, fast and easy dinner choice but, I must confess, not low in calories.  This is my own version adapted from Rachel Ray's recipe.

1 lb. Spaghetti
1/2 lb. Bacon, chopped
1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
6 Cloves Garlic, pressed
1/2 C. Chicken Broth
1/4 C. Heavy Cream
2 Egg Yolks
1 C. Frozen Peas, rinsed with water to thaw 
1/2 C. Grated Parmesan Cheese
Pepper
Fresh or Dried Parsley

*Hint: I like to do all the prep ahead for this meal because it has to come together really quickly.  It's best if you have everything you need ready and sitting on the counter next to the stove before you begin cooking the pasta.

   Heat a large pot of water for the pasta.  Add a generous amount of salt to the water after it boils, then add the spaghetti noodles.  Cook according to package directions.  While pasta is cooking heat a skillet and cook bacon.  I cut my bacon up into pieces before I cook it to avoid the crumble stage.  When bacon is almost completely cooked add crushed red pepper and garlic.  Cook for 2 minutes longer.  Reduce heat to medium low and add chicken broth and cream to skillet.  Cook stirring for 1 minute then remove from heat.

   Beat egg yolks in a small mixing bowl and add 1 ladle full or 1/2 C. of water from the pot of pasta to temper the egg yolks.  Drain pasta and stir the bacon mixture, yolk mixture, peas, pepper and cheese into the piping hot noodles.  Continue stirring pasta until most all the liquid has been absorbed into the noodles.  Transfer to serving dish, grate additional parmesan over top and sprinkle parsley over pasta for garnish.  Serve immediately or pasta will get kind of sticky and gluey.

1 comment:

christin said...

I made this the other day to take down to Simon and some guys for dinner. Everyone really liked it.