Monday, August 2, 2010

Simmered Black Beans over Rice

Seriously, this is one of my favorite meals.  I love the smell of it simmering on my stove almost as much as I love the taste.  Delicious.  I promise.  This is adapted from a Weight Watchers recipe so it is very low in fat and high in fiber.  Meatless is the way to go in the summer and you will have most of the ingredients for this dish just sitting in your pantry or refrigerator.  If you think of beans and rice as a blah, boring kind of meal,  this recipe is sure to change your mind.  You're gonna love it!

1 Large Green Bell Pepper, diced
1 Onion, diced
5 Cloves Garlic, pressed
2 T. Olive Oil
2 Cans Black Beans, drained
1 Can Petite Diced Tomatoes
1 Can Chicken Broth
3/4 tsp. Thyme
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1/2 tsp. Oregano
1 Bay Leaf
Cilantro to taste (I add about 2 T.)

Heat oil in a skillet and saute pepper, onion and garlic until onions are translucent.  Add all other ingredients except cilantro and simmer for 30-45 minutes until it becomes like a thick soup.  Discard bay leaf and add cilantro.  Simmer for an additional 5 minutes and serve over hot, cooked rice.  Garnish with additional cilantro if desired.  

1 comment:

Mike & Aubrey Janowicz said...

Hey Andrea, it's Aubrey Janowicz (met at Nelson's :) ). I made this meal and we loved it! I shared it with my mom and my family loved it as well. I am excited to try more of the recipes on your blog!