Thursday, September 30, 2010

My Favorite Pizza Crust

My sisters and I often make pizza on Friday nights.  I have tried a lot of pizza dough recipes and this is by far my favorite.  I like the texture of it and it is quick.  I usually start the dough and then cut up toppings and mix up sauce while the dough is rising.  By the time I am done the dough is ready and I can put the pizza together.  This dough also works nicely for calzones.  I think the trick to really good pizza is the garlic infused olive oil.  Read on for more details...

1 1/4 C. Lukewarm Water
1 T. Yeast
2 tsp. Salt
2 T. Sugar
2 T. Oil
3 C. Flour
1 1/2 T. Olive Oil
1 large clove garlic

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.  Mix yeast, water and 1 T. of sugar together and let it sit for 5 minutes or until it is pretty foamy.  Then add salt, the rest of your sugar, oil and flour.  Mix well then allow dough to rise for 20 minutes.  When dough is ready divide into two equal parts for thin crust pizza or roll out the whole ball for 1 thick crust pizza.  Press 1 clove garlic into 1 1/2 T. Olive Oil.  Using a basting brush, lightly brush the oil mixture all over the pizza(s).  You don't want too much oil on the pizza, just a light coating all the way to the edges.  Bake at 500 degrees for 3-5 minutes until dough begins to barely brown.  Take pizza out and top with sauce, cheese and toppings.  Put the pizza back in the oven for 7 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

1 comment:

Broe said...

You made a nice pizza. Looking at this even in the morning makes me hungry. I need to go buy mushrooms soon!