Friday, November 5, 2010

Pizza Pockets



These are super good and they freeze so well.  The first time I made these I doubled the recipe so that I could freeze them for my husband to take to work.  He shared them with friends there and everyone loved them and said I should sell them.




 The pockets

2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 tablesoon sugar
 1/2 teaspoon garlic 
1/2 tablespoon italian seasoning

I put all of this in the bread machine and set it on the dough cycle.  No need to be a bread machine hater, you can do it by hand too. 

Sauce

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
 1 tablespoon ground oregano
 1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
 1 ts sugar

I mix this in a blender.  It will make way more than you need, but I just freeze the extra in a ziploc.  Then when I want to make these again I pull it out and defrost and just clip the corner of the bag so I can just squeeze it onto the dough.

Separate dough into 8 equal balls.  Roll each ball into a circle shape.  Spread about a tablespoon of sauce evenly, but not all the way to the edge so that you can still seal them.  Sprinkle with cheese and pepperoni.  DO NOT OVER FILL!  If you do they will leak and make a mess.  Fold in half and seal with a fork.  I like to dip my finger in water and put water all along the edge before sealing.  Poke holes in the top with your fork 3 or 4 times and bake on a cookie sheet at 375 for 20-25 minutes.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I am so glad you posted these cause I want to make some and keep forgetting to ask you how to do it! Now I don't have to bug you!

Veronica said...

I tried these with my family. They had fun making their own pocket. They were easy and fun. They gave me their thumbs up. Would be great to freeze and have a quick meal but I am afraid I won't ever left overs.

Veronica said...

I forgot to add that we used the extra sauce to dip the pockets in. It was perfect.

Veronica said...

So I made these again because I loved them the first time. I didn't have the whole family home and wanted to try freezing them. When I cooked them I went from frozen to microwave and found that they were dry. The sauce had been absorbed into the crust. I like them fresh better.