Monday, November 2, 2009

Bones and Broomsticks

For Halloween we had a spooky dinner of homemade Chili and these bread sticks.  Mom gave me the idea for the witches brooms and the kids LOVED them.  This is my very favorite white bread recipe.  I use it for everything- sweet rolls, french bread, loaves of bread, rolls, and bread sticks (obviously).  I have used 1/2 white, 1/2 wheat flour and it worked great.  I think the first time I tried this recipe I was in high school.  It is a recipe from a family friend, Lori Heathcote.  She says it is an award winning cook off recipe.  I believe it!



2 T. Yeast
1/2 C. Warm Water
2 C. Hot Water
3 T. Sugar
1 T. Salt
1/4 C. Oil
6 C. Flour

Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.  Combine hot water, salt, oil and flour.  Add yeast mixture then knead aggressively or beat on medium speed in an upright mixer for at least one full minute to get the gluten working in the dough.  This will help the dough rise better.  Let dough rise, covered with a dry dish cloth for 1 hour.  Divide dough into two loaves or shape into rolls/bread sticks.  Let rise for an additional 30 minutes.  Bake loaves at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until light brown on top or, for rolls and bread sticks, bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until golden brown then brush tops with butter.

1 comment:

Broe said...

These are very creative!