Monday, November 2, 2009

Homemade Chili

The last time I tried chili out on my kids they called it cruel and unusual punishment and asked me to promise to never subject them to that kind of torture again.  That was at least a year ago so I thought that I would give it another try and I am so glad I did.  I think one of the tricks to getting kids to eat chili is to make it ultra mild but I can't make chili without a little bit of a kick so I added red pepper flakes, just a few.  Everyone loved it, especially with the bread sticks.  This is hands down the best chili I have ever made. 

2 large carrots, chopped
3 stalks of celery, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 lb. hamburger
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained

1 bottle of tomato juice (or 32 oz. canned)
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 C. ketchup
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 T. brown sugar
1/8-1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

Brown the hamburger with the onion, celery and carrots in a medium sized pot.  Add beans, tomato juice, tomato sauce, ketchup and bay leaves.  Stir well.  Add all spices and sugar.  Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour on medium low heat.  If the chili is too thick for your taste, add 1/2 C. water.  Serve with cheese over top.  Makes 8 servings.

No comments: