Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Coconut Chicken Curry

This was the best dinner we've had in weeks, and we've had some really good meals but this...outrageously good, that's what I'd call it.  I am already thinking about the leftovers and it's not even time for breakfast yet.  My mom doesn't care for curry so I always assumed I didn't either but oh, how wrong I was!  I thought it was odd to pair potatoes with rice and milk with tomatoes but no, it's perfect.  The flavors were subtle, not strong so don't worry about being overpowered by spice in this dish.  I am pretty sure I sounded like Bill Murry on "What About Bob" during dinner going "mmmm. mmmmmmmm.  mmmmmmmmmmmm."  every few minutes.  You must try this dish!

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I just used some shredded chicken I had in my fridge)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 T. oil
2 T. curry powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (1/2 tsp. for less heat)
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
4 red potatoes, cut into 1 " chunks
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
3 T. sugar
Cooked Rice

Heat oil in a large skillet. When hot, add curry powder and cayenne pepper and cook for 2 minutes on medium low until fragrant.  Add onion and garlic and cook on medium heat until onion is translucent. Add chicken pieces and sprinkle with the salt and pepper then saute until completely cooked through.  Add potatoes and mix around with a spoon to coat with the curry.  Add all other ingredients and stir until well combined.  Cover and simmer on medium low heat for 30-40 minutes stirring occasionally.  Cook rice while chicken mixture is simmering.  Ladle sauce over top of rice and enjoy!

2 comments:

christin said...

I made this tonight for dinner and it was so good. Different then any other curry I have had. I do have one warning... you may experience a stomach when finished. Caution: Do not over eat!

DJ, Liesl and Logan said...

I made this two days ago and LOVED it. i am a big curry fan and as i was making it thought that it was going to be a little wierd with the tomato, but it was so good! Dj who is pretty picky liked it too and even took it for lunch the next day. I did add a little more curry powder because i like it a little stronger. Thanks Andrea!