Friday, December 11, 2009

Gingersnaps

This is the last cookie I am making for my friend/neighbor gifts.  About a month ago I tried to make gingersnaps without using shortening.  I substituted butter but they spread like crazy and turned out like flat disks.  A total flop.  I really try to avoid using shortening in recipes because of the trans fat issue.  But, if you want to make gingersnaps your going to have to bite the bullet like I did and use it anyway.  These cookies just don't turn out without it.  They are super good cookies, crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle.  I added white chocolate chips to mine.  

Today I also baked my favorite, favorite cookie ever, Carmel Cookies.  They have a rolo baked into the center.  I posted about it the day we started this blog so, in case you missed it, here is a link.


2 C. Flour
1 T. Ginger
2 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt
3/4 C. Shortening
1 C. White sugar
1 Egg
1/4 C. Molasses
1/3 C. Cinnamon Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.  In a separate mixing bowl, whip shortening until smooth then add sugar, egg, and molasses and whip until fluffy.  Add dry ingredients and mix until a soft dough forms.  Roll into 1-1 1/2" balls.  Roll each ball in cinnamon and sugar then place on greased cookie sheet.  Bake 9-10 minutes. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Delicious. I'm not a big fan of ginger, but these were the best EVER and the Young Women in my class loved them too. Keep cooking Andrea. You are the bomb. :) :)