Thursday, March 11, 2010

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

I love my homemade spaghetti sauce!  We have traditional spaghetti at least once a month (probably more) in my family and my kids just can't stop eating it.  The other day when I made this I had to cut my oldest two kids off at 4th helpings so there would be enough for my husband's lunch the next day.  The trick to really good spaghetti sauce is cooking it for at least 45 minutes before serving it.  That gives the spices a chance to break down and blend with the other flavors of the sauce.  If you don't cook it long enough it can be watery and taste over seasoned. 

1 lb. Hamburger
2 15 oz. Cans Diced or Crushed Tomatoes
1 8oz. Can Tomato Sauce
1 onion, chopped or 4 T. Dried Onion
1/2 C. Water
1 tsp. Oregano
1 1/2 tsp. Basil
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1/2 tsp. Salt

Brown hamburger then add all other ingredients.  Cover and simmer on medium low heat for 45-60 minutes.  Serve over your favorite type of pasta and grate fresh parmesan cheese over top if desired.

No comments: