Sunday, October 11, 2009

Apple Dumplings

Okay, I am not kidding, These are super easy and they make your house smell wonderful.
When some of my children were younger they opted to have me make these instead of birthday cake.

Pastry:
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup milk

Sauce:
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups water
Mix sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add water. Cook until sugar dissolves. Take off stove.

Mix the flour, baking powder. Cut in shortening until it resembles crumbs. Add milk and mix to form a dough. Set aside.

Peel, cut in half and core apples. Put back together.
Roll out pastry. Cover each apple and put in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Ladle sugar mixture carefully over apples.

Bake @ 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

Makes 8 delicious apple dumplings.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

You beat me to it. I probably won't get to these until this weekend. They look delicious!

christin said...

They were delicious!

Broe said...

I am so going to make these today!