Sunday, January 31, 2010

Apple Cake with Warm Butter Sauce

I got this recipe from my mom.  I took it to a dinner with friends tonight.  Everyone raved over it.  They said it was a dessert to be savored and I completely agree.  It is very similar to a coffee cake and very rich so one cake serves 12-16 people.  A very good choice for a cold January day.

3 C. Flour
2 C. Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
4 C. Chopped Apples (4-5 apples)
2 Eggs
1 C. Oil
1/4 C. Buttermilk
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 C. Nuts (I used pecans)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Mix dry ingredients together.  Add eggs, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla and mix until batter looks like cookie dough.  It will be much dryer than normal cake batter.  Fold in apples and nuts with a large spatula or wooden spoon.  Grease and flour a bundt pan then transfer batter evenly into pan.  Press batter down a little bit to make sure it is evenly distributed.  Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.  Let cake cool at least 30 minutes before serving so it won't crumble.  Serve with warm butter sauce drizzled over each slice.

Warm Butter Sauce
1 C. Sugar
1/2 C. Sour Cream
1/2 C. Butter

Boil all ingredients together for 1 minute then let cool slightly before serving over cake. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks so good, and you mentioning the warm butter sauce makes me think of it just melting in my mouth.

A.