Friday, January 22, 2010

Lemon Blueberry Muffins

These were very good.  I usually don't care for homemade blueberry muffins because the blueberries always seem a little juicy inside the muffins.  However, I think I figured that problem out.  It's all about thawing the blueberries completely.  I had been adding them in frozen before.  The sugar tops are completely optional.  The muffins are not too tart to stand alone. 

2 C. Flour
1/2 C. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 T. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Lemon Zest (zest of 1-2 lemons)
1 C. Milk
1/2 C. Butter
1 Egg
1 C. Frozen Blueberries, thawed

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Mix together the dry ingredients.  With an electric mixer, combine milk, butter, lemon zest and egg until foamy.  Add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  Fold in blueberries with a spatula until well distributed throughout the batter.  Drop heaping spoonfuls into a greased 12 cup muffin tin.  Bake 25 minutes.  If you would like to do the sugar tops juice lemon and add 1/4 C. melted butter to juice.  In a separate bowl measure 1/2 cup sugar.  When muffins come out of the oven, remove muffins from tin and allow them to cool for a few minutes until they cool off enough that you can handle holding them in your hand without getting burned.  Dip tops of muffins in butter/lemon juice then in sugar.

4 comments:

christin said...

Okay, you did it. I actually want to make these muffins! I love blueberries, but felt the same way you did about them being juicy. These are making my mouth water and that is unusual for me with muffins and I am not even pregnant!

christin said...

I LOVED these muffins! I thought they were awesome! They were so moist! Magically delicious.

Anonymous said...

These look so good! I hope to try them sometime!
A.

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I REALLY want to try these!
A.