Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Perfect Raspberry Muffins

A really good friend of mine gave me a breakfast cookbook for Christmas.  A cookbook made up entirely of breakfast recipes?  Are you kidding!?  I had no idea such a thing existed.  So I have been eagerly trying all kinds of new things from this book.  It's called Beyond Oatmeal by Carlene Duda.

By now, you know that I am a muffin freak!  I love them.  I have been on the hunt for a couple of months now for the perfect lemon raspberry muffins.  I have tried 3 different recipes, hoping each time to have found the perfect one only to be disappointed.  I had just about given up on raspberry muffins all together but I stumbled across this recipe and decided to give it another try.  These are PERFECT!  They have the most perfect rounded tops, perfect texture, the perfect amount of sweetness and I added lemon to mine so I was basically in heaven this morning.  So were my kids.  My son asked if we could have them again tomorrow!

2 1/2 C. Flour
1 C. Sugar
2 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 Eggs
3/4 C. Sour Cream
1/4 C. Milk
1/2 C. Butter, melted
1 1/2 C. Fresh or frozen raspberries (frozen berries must be thawed and drained well)
*I added the zest of 1 lemon.  I also added the fresh lemon juice in place of the milk. 

Crumb Topping:
1/3 C. Flour
2 T. Sugar
2 T. Butter, softened
*I added some lemon zest

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix sour cream, milk, eggs and butter with an electric mixer until smooth and well blended.  Add all dry ingredients but don't over mix!  Just blend until moist.  If you are using lemon zest then grate it in now.  Fold in berries (and zest) with a spatula.  Spoon into a greased or lined muffin tin.  Mix together ingredients for crumb topping with a pastry blender or two knives until it resembles small crumbs.  Spoon over top of batter and bake muffins for 20 minutes.  Makes 18 muffins.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Your muffins look so good. I am going to make them soon. I will let you know how many pounds I gain.

christin said...

I made these at the same time as the blueberry ones. They were good, but I actually like the blueberry ones better. Simon really liked these though.