Thursday, January 21, 2010

Northwest Blueberry Waffles

I grew up in the Northwest but I have never had these in my life.  I feel jipped.  These were amazing, the best waffles I have ever had in my life and trust me when I tell you that is saying something!  They are extremely decadent with a melt in your mouth kind of texture.  I couldn't stop eating them this morning.  With whipping cream instead of milk they are a splurge for sure but I will definitely make these again.


2 C. Flour
4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
2 Eggs
1/2 C. Butter, melted
1 3/4 C. Heavy Cream
3 T. Sugar
3/4-1 C. Frozen Blueberries, thawed

Preheat waffle iron.  Whip heavy cream and sugar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.  Don't over do it, you only want soft peaks.  Fold in blueberries.  In a separate bowl whisk together eggs and butter until foamy.  Add to whipped cream mixture and mix until smooth.  Add all other ingredients and blend with a spatula until a smooth, thick batter forms.  I used a couple of tablespoons of milk to thin mine down a bit because it was too thick.  It will be thick but it should still form a batter.  Pour by 1/2 cupfuls onto your hot waffle iron and cook until browned.  Repeat until you have used all your batter.  Makes about 14 waffles.  I served them with a small amount of maple syrup drizzled over top but they were honestly good enough to eat plain.  YUM!

1 comment:

christin said...

I made these the other day. Everyone liked them. They have a different taste then normal waffles because of the cream. I made the batter the night before (to save time) and planned to add the blue berries the next morning. By morning the batter was so thick I had a hard time adding the berries. These were great, but I don't recommend mixing it up the night before.