Sunday, May 9, 2010

Banana Bread



This is my favorite banana bread recipe. I received it first as a gift from my friend at Christmas time when we lived near Sacramento. I called her and just had to get her recipe and it has been my favorite since that time. If you have bananas on your counter top turning many shades of brown this is a great way to use them.

2/3 cup Shortening
2 1/2 cups Flour
1 2/3 cups Sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 1/4 mashed Bananas
2/3 cup Buttermilk (I use sour milk)
2 eggs
2/3 cup chopped Nuts

Combine:
Shortening, sugar and eggs. Add dry ingredients. Add mild and mashed bananas. Mix well and pour into 2 loaf pans or 1 9x13 or 2 8" round pans.
Bake @ 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow, that was shocking to see a post from you this morning...pleasantly shocking. I am excited to try this one, I love anything with buttermilk in it!

Karen said...

Yum...I can't wait to try it.

christin said...

I love this banana bread! I just bought a ton of bananas today because they were only 28 cents a pound. I hope my kids let some go brown.

Andrea said...

This bread was delicious! I substituted sour cream for the buttermilk and it worked like a charm. I love the moist texture of baked goods made with sour cream!