Monday, June 14, 2010

Killer Potato Salad

I don't mean to brag but my potato salad is AWESOME!  I have worked with the recipe I had when I got married year after year and now I feel like it is truly perfect, at least for my taste.  With summer BBQs over the next couple of months, I hope this recipe will come in handy for someone out there! 

8 Russet Potatoes, average size
4-5 eggs
3 stalks celery
3-4 dill pickles
1 Cup Mayonaise
1/2 C. Sweet Pickle Relish
2 tsp. Mustard
1/4-1/2 C. Milk
2-3 T. White Vinegar
Lowry's Seasoning Salt
Onion Powder
Pepper

Put unpeeled, unwashed potatoes into a large pot.  Put eggs on top of potatoes.  Cover all with water and boil until potatoes are pierced easily with a knife or fork.  Transfer eggs to bowl.  Dump out all the water and rinse potatoes with cool water.  Allow to cool for 30 minutes until you are able to touch potatoes without burning yourself.  Peel potatoes.  The skin should just peel right off.  Cut up potatoes into 1 inch cubes.  Pour vinegar evenly over top then sprinkle with Seasoning Salt, onion powder and pepper.  I am pretty generous but don't go overboard with the salt!  I am sorry I don't have a measurement on this, I just eyeball it.  Cut celery stalks in half lengthwise then chop into small pieces then add to bowl.  Dice pickles and peel and chop eggs.  Add to bowl.  In a separate bowl combine mayo, relish, mustard and enough milk so it looks like thin cake batter.  Whisk until mixed well.  Pour over top of potatoes and mix.  It might seem a little watery at first but it won't after it's refrigerated.  Refrigerate it for at least an hour before serving.  I think it gets better the longer it sits in the fridge. 

No comments: