Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Red Cream Sauce

This recipe from the Pioneer Woman must be shared!  Beth sent me a link to this recipe and told me in emphatic terms to Make This Recipe!   I did and yum.  This is a very good sauce for any kind of pasta.  The only thing you will probably need to add to your shopping list is the cream, most of the ingredients are just sitting in your pantry.  I modified the recipe from its original on the Pioneer Woman's blog to lower the fat and calories a bit.  This is a large recipe so plan on having left-overs.  Enjoy!

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 whole Medium Onion, Finely Diced
4 cloves Garlic, Minced
2 cans 15 oz. cans Tomato Sauce
Salt And Pepper, to taste
Dash Of Sugar (more To Taste)
1/2 C. Half and Half or Cream
1/2 C. Milk
Grated Parmesan Cheese, To Taste
1 tsp. dried basil
1-½ lb. Pasta

Saute onion and garlic in oil until onions are translucent.  Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper, basil and sugar.  Simmer on low heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Cook pasta according to package directions.  Add half and half and milk to sauce, stirring to combine.  Sprinkle in cheese then toss with cooked pasta.  Serve with additional parmesan cheese if desired.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Congrats to Lavendergirl, winner of the CSN $70 gift credit. Contact me to get the code!

Veronica said...

Wow this was really good. I made it because it was easy cheap and I had everything on hand but didn't expect it to be this good. My whole family loved it. It was fun to have a heritage to go with it.