Friday, February 5, 2010

Barley Burger Stew


This recipe came from a book I received from my mom when I was first married. It is called "Cooking for Two". I really enjoy the flavor of this stew.

1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 1/4 cups tomato juice
1/2 cup water
1 t salt
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup uncooked barley

In 3-quart saucepan, cook and stir meat and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat. Stir in remaining ingredients; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until barley is done and stew is desired consistency, about 1 hour.
This recipe makes 2 servings. Double as needed.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I don't think I have any barley but now I have a reason to get some.

Anonymous said...

I got one Betty Crocker cookbook for two in the early 70's everyone begs me to make big pots of this still one of my favorite cookbooks of all time

Anonymous said...

I got the same cookbook as a gift when I was married in 1976. I made it often, and recently bought barley and remembered that my daughters loved it, too! I googled to save time from searching through my old cookbook collection and was thrilled to see this. Thank you so much for posting. I'll be making this soon, but once again, it will only be for 2, and I will most likely use ground turkey.