Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Savory Beef Casserole

Crock pot week came at the perfect time.  It is stormy and dark outside and nothing tastes better on a day like that than a homey, comforting meal like this one.  I have been making this recipe for years.  I got it out of a cookbook my husband bought me- Crock Pot Recipes For Entertaining.  Don't be turned off by a title with "casserole" in it.  I don't normally do casseroles because it reminds me of something gross like tuna casserole.  This is a hearty meal, similar to a very thick beef stew.  So, if you like stew, you'll love this.


1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
6 carrots, peeled and sliced
8 potatoes, washed (not peeled) and sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 C. Milk
2 beef bullion cubes dissolved in 1/4 C. water (do this in the microwave)

Cook ground beef with onion in a large skillet until onion is translucent and ground beef is cooked through.  Spray crock pot with cooking spray then transfer meat mixture to the bottom of your crock pot.  Put carrots over top of meat then add potatoes.  Salt and Pepper the top of the potatoes.  In a small mixing bowl combine soup, milk and beef bullion water.  Pour over top of potatoes.  Cook on high 4-5 hours or on low 8 hours.

1 comment:

christin said...

I made this forever ago and never commented on it. I really liked it. Great comfort food, just my style.