Friday, January 8, 2010

Sweet Pork Burritos

A friend of mine gave me some creamy tomatilla dressing she had made.  It is a copy cat recipe from Cafe' Rio.  So, I decided to make some pork burritos to use the dressing with.  They were so good!  Our family has a great Cafe' Rio Burrito recipe that tastes really close to the real thing.  This is completely different so don't be expecting Cafe' Rio if you try these.  Still good, just different.  My kids did not love the dressing but my husband and I did.  It is pretty strong and it's got a lot of cilantro flavor so if you decide to give it a try you might want to half the recipe and use it sparingly.  Or, if you would rather, just use your favorite brand of ranch dressing.  


The Pork:
1 Boneless Pork Roast (3 lbs or less)
2 C. Salsa or Green Enchilada Sauce
1 1/2 C. Brown Sugar

Put the roast in your crock pot and pour the salsa or enchilada sauce over top.  Sprinkle with brown sugar and cook for 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high.  (If you cook it on low it will be much easier to shred.)  About an hour before you are going to serve dinner, shred the roast and return the meat back to the crock pot until serving.

The Dressing:
1 pkt. Hidden Valley Ranch Buttermilk Dressing
1 C. Buttermilk
1 C. Mayo
2-3 Tomatillas (peeled)
1 Clove Garlic, peeled
1/2 Bunch Cilantro
1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
Juice From 1 Lime
Salt and Pepper to taste

Blend all ingredients in a blender and refrigerate until serving.

The Rest of the Burrito:
Soft Tortillas (I really like the uncooked Costco ones but you can use the regular ones too)
1 C. Cooked Rice (you could do spanish rice, rice cooked in chicken broth, whatever you like)
1 Can Black Beans
Shredded Lettuce
Diced Tomatoes
Shredded Cheese

Drain the beans and use some salt and pepper to flavor them.  To assemble the burritos begin with a flour tortilla and layer shredded pork, a small amount of rice, beans, a small amount of dressing, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese.  Then roll up and enjoy!

3 comments:

DJ, Liesl and Logan said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVED IT!!! I love the combination of the sweet pork and the spicy dressing. this is going to be one of my very favorite recipies!

christin said...

I don't even know what to say about these! They are soooooooooooooooooo good. The kind of food you just can't stop eating. I took these to a family party and everyone loved them. P.S. Don't skip the dressing!

Andrea said...

These are fabulous! I really had a hard time stopping myself from eating more than I did! I agree with Christin, DON'T skip the dressing, supper yummy!