Friday, February 5, 2010

Grandpa's Meatloaf with Honey Roasted Potatoes

My grandpa has a lot of talent with traditional comfort foods.  His meatloaf is the only recipe I would ever consider using.  This time I paired it with a recipe I have been anxious to try- honey roasted potatoes.  They were so good and so different.  The tangy mustard flavor combined with the honey and onion was so good.  I put them under my broiler for a few minutes at the end to crisp them up a bit.

Grandpa's Meatloaf:
2 lbs. Ground Beef
2 C. Bread Crumbs (I just crumble the ends of a loaf of bread into very fine pieces.)
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Sage
2 C. Chopped Onion
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1/4 C. Ketsup
1 tsp. Prepared Mustard
2 T. Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Pepper

Mix all ingredients together and transfer to a greased pan.  Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes.  Spread additional ketsup on top before serving.


Honey Roasted Potatoes:
1 lb. Small Red Potatoes, quartered (I used russet but red potatoes would be even better)
2 T. Chopped Onion (or 1 T. onion powder)
2 T. Butter, melted
1 T. Honey
1 tsp. Dry Mustard
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp. Dried Parsley

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.  Place potatoes in prepared pan in a single layer.  Sprinkle onion (or onion powder) over top.  Mix together all other ingredients and drizzle over top of potatoes.  Bake for 40-50 minutes depending on size of potatoes.  Use a spatula to turn potatoes 3 times during the baking time to re-coat potatoes with honey mixture.  If you like your potatoes crispy, turn on your broiler at the end of the baking time for 3-5 minutes, watching carefully so potatoes don't burn.  Makes 4 servings.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Oh, how I love this meatloaf! Thanks for posting this classic.

DJ, Liesl and Logan said...

this was the perfect dinner for tonight. thank you! I did not make the potatoes because I did not have the mustard for them. but they sound so good I will make them soon!