Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Strawberry Freezer Jam

I made strawberry freezer jam today.  If you have ever used the pectin freezer jam recipe you know how completely unhealthy it is with 2 C. of fruit and 4 C. of sugar, yuck!  So last year I was on a mission to find an alternative to that recipe that my family would still like.  I found the best recipe ever!  I am not kidding, you are going to love this recipe.  If you haven't ever used Clear Jel before it is available at Blue Chip Group and at Allison's Pantry (probably other places too but those two places I know carry it).  It is cheap- about $5 for 2 lbs, which would last you a really long time since you use it in pretty small amounts.  It is a thickening agent so it is a great thing to have in your pantry.  You can use it for cooked jams, freezer jams, gravies, pie fillings, etc.

5 C. Chopped Strawberries (I use my food processor)
2 1/2 C. Sugar
5 T. + 1 tsp. Instant Clear Jel

Mix sugar and clear jel together.  Measure fruit into a large mixing bowl.  Add sugar mixture all at once and mix for 2-3 minutes until sugar is completely dissolved.  If you don't mix it long enough the clear jel will clump up into balls.  I use my kitchen aid mixer on level 2 and just let it mix for 2 1/2 minutes.  Once it is mixed, pour into freezer safe containers and let jam sit for 10 minutes to set up before storing in your freezer.

No comments: